Friday, December 11, 2020

August 6, 2018 Utica, NE Mothership

Continuing the two-post theme this week, and the theme of posting thunderstorm pictures during winter weather (it's currently snowing at a good clip this evening in Lincoln), the first picture is of a supercell updraft west of Utica, NE from August 6, 2018. On this evening, an isolated supercell tracked north of I-80 in central and eastern Nebraska before dissipating north of Lincoln. My friend Matt and I made a last minute decision to chase it, and were treated to breathtaking mothership structure. When we neared the storm before exiting I-80, the tail cloud extended well to the south of the interstate for a storm whose core, if I recall correctly, was at least 10 miles north of 80. While difficult to capture in good focus or even horizontal balance (I wasn't using a tripod and I was really excited at what I was seeing), and impossible from my vantage point to capture the entirety of the structure, this should give some idea of how high into the updraft the striations went. Along with May 21, 2011 near Ada, OK, this storm provided some of the most stunning supercell structure I've ever witnessed in person. 



No comments:

Post a Comment